(J. C. Ryle, “One Blood”)
One plague of our age is the widespread dislike of sound doctrine. In the place of it, the idol of the day is a kind of jelly-fish Christianity–a Christianity without bone, or muscle, or sinew– without any distinct teaching about the atonement or the work of the Spirit, or justification, or the way of peace with God–a vague, foggy, misty Christianity, of which the only watchwords seem to be, “You must be liberal and kind. You must condemn no man’s doctrinal views. You must think everybody is right, and nobody is wrong.”
The Bible says:
- 1 Timothy 4:13: Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.
- 1 Timothy 4:16: Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
- 1 Timothy 6:3: If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness…
- 2 Timothy 3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- 2 Timothy 4:2: Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
- 2 Timothy 4:3: For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
- Titus 1:9: Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
- Titus 2:1: But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:
- Titus 2:7: In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity,
- 2 John 1:9: Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
- 2 John1:10: If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
- Revelation 2:14: But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
- Revelation 2:15: So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.
- Revelation 2:24: But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
I had to make a choice between staying a jellyfish and following the Bible. I chose the Bible. Which will you choose?